Friday, August 26, 2016

Against the Crowd Blogathon 2016: Gone Girl and Suicide Squad



Against The Crowd 2016 Hosted by Dell On Movies and KG's Movie Rants

The rules:
1. Pick one movie that “everyone” loves (the more iconic, the better). That movie must have a score of at least 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. Tell us why you hate it.
2. Pick one movie that “everyone” hates (the more notorious, the better). That movie must have a score of less than 35% on Rotten Tomatoes. Tell us why you love it.
3. Include the tomato meter scores of both movies.
4. Use one of the banners in this post, or feel free to create your own.
5. Comment at Dell on Movies or KG's Movie Rants with the two movies you intend on writing on.
6. Publish your post on any day from Monday August 22 through Friday August 26, 2016.



This blogathon was made for me. Typically, I hate movies people love and love movies people hate, would could be more perfect? The two films I am featuring in this post are two popular recent films that are strongly loved or hated. There are spoilers.


Gone Girl
This film frustrates me. I found it underwhelming, boring, and almost everything was predictable. Nothing shocked me about this film and I feel like that was the whole point of Gone Girl. One of the reasons why I had an issue with this film was that the author of the book, Gillian Flynn, claims her book and the film is empowering to women. Okay, yes, it's okay that Amy got her revenge on Nick, but I don't understand why Amy would force Nick to stay with her, that goes against empowering women. I'm sure there could have been another way Amy could have ruined Nick's life without blackmailing him to continue their relationship. It's as if the book and film are saying it's okay to stay in a relationship with someone you framed for your murder after finding out he cheated on you. Am I missing something?




Suicide Squad
First off, I will admit that this film is not the film we all waited for. I think it could have been way better and I probably enjoyed it because I had such low expectations from reading the horrible reviews. My friend was kind enough to warn me that Joker is not the villain the squad goes after, but it's Enchantress, and that is my biggest fault with the film, like I'm assuming for many others. I don't know why anyone would choose a lame mythological character as the main villain over Joker, it is beyond me. But anyway, let's get to why I actually enjoyed this film a lot. I loved the main characters in Suicide Squad. I didn't like Margot Robbie in Wall Street, so I expected her to do poor as Harley Quinn, but I was obsessed with them both in this film. I also really liked Deadshot and Diablo. Like Wendell said in his review for the film, though these characters are the bad guys, you can't help but to sympathize with them and that's why I think I enjoyed the film so much. And lastly, the Joker. I think Jared Leto is an amazing actor so I wasn't worried how he'd play Joker, but I wasn't really a fan of the tone Joker had. Definitely not as serious or realistic as Ledger's role, but that's just my preference. I will agree that the editing was a bit weak, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this hated film. 


Do you agree or disagree with my choices? Let's talk about it below!

3 comments:

  1. I kinda loved Gone Girl, but I never saw the twist coming so that really caught me out.
    Suicide Squad was fun! Definitely a movie I'd rewatch and I loved the soundtrack, but it was such a mess :( It SHOULD have been brilliant, that's the problem.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those who loves Gone Girl, but your argument makes tons of sense. I also like SS, as you know. Thanks for the link to my review. And a huge thanks for participating in this blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Gone Girl, but I understand your argument for sure. It makes sense. Suicide Squad was bad, but I don't think its 26% on the Tomatometer bad.

    ReplyDelete