Friday, June 24, 2016

Futuristic Films Displaying Modern Romance Fears: Her (2013) and The Lobster (2015)





With The Lobster currently in theaters, people are saying that it's the cynical version of Her. While I do agree that The Lobster has a darker and comedic tone to it, I don't think the film is saying there is no hope for true love, it just doesn't focus on that.


The Lobster pokes fun at the modern dating scene with it's comedic moments, along with the editing's pace making characters relationships with one another cold and distant. The main character, David (Colin Farrell), meets a woman (Rachel Weisz), whom both are near-sighted, naturally meaning that they are meant to be *sarcasm*. Though I believed both characters actually did love each other, it turns out that their love was a facade, assuming David left the woman at the end. The Lobster shows the absurdities of feeling obligated to be in a relationship in order to be happy, or to be single, along with forcing a relationship for the sake of not being single. I don't know if Lanthimos believes in lasting relationships, but I'm assuming that isn't the point he is making in his film, but rather questioning what people do in order to be in a relationship, either conforming with society or unintentionally faking love because they like the idea of it.







With Her, I don't think Jonze's message focuses on how attached people are to their technology, it's just part of the storyline. Jonze shows Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) mature, learn what relationships are, and how to let go. Though obviously ending with a way more positive note than The Lobster, I won't say that The Lobster is the cynical version of Her. They both comment on the modern day romance, but in different ways. I believe that Her has little to do with being in a relationship with an Operating System, and more to do with the different stages of relationships. On the other hand, The Lobster looks at society's expectations of being single or in a relationship, and what people are willing to do to be in "love". 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE both of these films, though while I was watching The Lobster I didn't really think of 'Her.' I think both are an interesting commentary about love in a not-too-distant future. I find 'Her' to be more emotional, but both are excellent in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you liked The Lobster! I noticed the people who didn't enjoy the film called it the depressing version of Her.

      Delete