Thursday, August 18, 2016

Thurdsay Movie Picks: Crimes Gone Wrong




This week's theme for Thursday Movie Picks (hosted by Wandering Through the Shelvesis Crimes Gone Wrong. I was going to pick all Coen films, since they are very good at making those types of films, but I thought I'd pick films from different directors. Crime films are fun, but they are even more fun when they don't go as planned. 


Pickpocket (1959)
The film is about a guy, Michel, that can't stop pickpocketing. Once he finally gets caught, there is a chance that Michel actually wanted to get caught, so is it a crime gone wrong? Whether Michel wanted to get caught or not, this is a great crime film. I saw this twice at school and one of my classmates pointed out that you could watch this film without the subtitles (it's a French film) and because Bresson heavily focuses on visuals, you could still understand what the film is about. Pretty neat, right?

Fargo (1996)
How could I not put this on my list? I was not a fan of this film when I first saw it, I thought it was very underwhelming, but with a lot of Coen films, it seems as if they are asking you to give it another watch. I recently re-watched it and I loved it! It seems so mundane with the characters and the setting, but that's what makes Fargo so great. The best part of the film was definitely Frances McDormand's character, we need more female characters like her. 

Seven Psychopaths (2012) 
This film is quite underrated. A pretty decent comedy with a great cast. I mean the film is based around Woody Harrelson in attempts to find his Shih Tzu, what more do you want?


16 comments:

  1. Nice picks. Pickpocket is one that didn't occur to me but is a wonderful choice. Very sleek, that's a good point about being able to follow it without the subtitles. Fargo is my favorite of the Coen Bros. films. It's not just that Frances McDormand is so great in it, though she is, but that the whole film just flows so well. Haven't seen Seven Psychopaths yet.

    I love this type of film so choosing three came easy this week:

    One False Move (1992)-After a series of drug deals go bad and result in several murders a trio of gangsters take it on the lam ending up in the small Arkansas town of Star City. On their trail are two LAPD detectives who team with the small town sheriff (Bill Paxton) to capture the three. Bracing, violent thriller excellently directed by Carl Franklin. Co-written by Billy Bob Thornton who plays one of the criminals.

    He Ran All the Way (1951)-Petty thief Nick Robey (John Garfield) teams up with his buddy Al to pull what they plan to be their big score, a payroll robbery. But they are foiled by a cop who shoots Al, panicked Nick shoots the cop. On the run he ducks into a public pool house and strikes up a conversation with a young girl named Peggy (Shelley Winters). Smitten Peggy walks home with him and he takes her family hostage until the tense finale. Low budget, taut noir was the blacklisted Garfield’s last film before his too early death at 39.

    Criss Cross (1949)-Armored car driver Steve Thompson (Burt Lancaster) is still carrying a torch for his ex-wife Anna (Yvonne de Carlo) who is now married to a L. A. gangster, Slim Dundee (Dan Duryea). Anna impulsive and restless is drawn to him as well and when Slim catches them together he forces Steve to participate in a robbery on the cars he drives. It does not go well and a series of double crosses lead to tragedy for all. If you only know Yvonne de Carlo from The Munsters this is the best place to see she was not only an incredibly beautiful woman but an excellent actress as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joel! Thanks! You're right, Fargo definitely flows so well, it might be my favorite Coen film tied with Lebowski. The only film you've mentioned that I've heard of is One False Move, sorry! But thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. i have never heard of PickPocket but it sounds like a good one to see. I enjoyed fargo quite a bit and agree with you about Frances McDormand. I totally forgot about 7 Pychopaths and wanted to see it when it came out. Marking it on my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you've seen any films by Bresson, but it's a must see of his and check out Psychopaths if you get the chance too!

      Delete
  3. Haven't even heard of pickpocket, interesting pick. The other two I have seen and like both of them. Have you seen In Bruges? Made by the same guy who did Seven Psychopaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did see it! I haven't seen it in a few years so I don't remember much, but I actually have been meaning to rewatch it!

      Delete
  4. Haven't seen Pickpocket, but I love the other two. I agree Seven Psychopaths is very underrated. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not heard of Pickpocket but it does sound good - shall seek it out!

    Love love love the other picks. I'm a huge Coen fan so I;m loving the appearance of various Coen films and I loved Seven Psychopaths. Walken stole the show but Rockwell was a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as if the Coens made films just to fit into the category haha. Walken was hilarious in Psychopaths!

      Delete
  6. I loved Seven Psychopathes! That's an excellent choice. I'd love to watch that movie again. I've never heard of Pickpocket but it sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I've been meaning to rewatch Psychopaths.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen Pickpocket, but I love the other two. I agree that people tend to overlook Seven Psychopaths. Maybe it's because In Bruges was better and people were expecting more from 7P, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen In Bruges for a few years now, I don't remember much, but I actually think I enjoyed Psychopaths more!

      Delete
  8. One day, I really need to see Pickpocket. I've seen a couple other ones from Bresson and was quite impressed. Fargo is the GOAT in my opinion, so good call there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Idk if you've seen A Man Escaped, but I would suggest that over Pickpocket.

      Delete